Monday, July 12, 2010

Postponed Goals



I was planning to run in a 5K on July 24, but I have decided to postpone that goal for a number of reasons:

1. While I'm briskly walking a good 3.1 miles per day, I'm not yet running. I've lost an incredible amount of weight -- 46 pounds so far! -- but the reality is that I need to lose at least another 55-65 pounds. I'm taking things very slowly because I don't want to be pounding on my knees with an extra 60 pounds on my frame. I had knee surgery a number of years ago and don't care to repeat that!

2. My running partner is just getting back from Guatemala and is sick with a head cold/sore throat. I don't think SHE is ready to run in the 5K on July 24.

3. I just don't feel ready.

This decision obviously has a domino effect in that if I'm not running the 5K in July, it's likely I won't be ready to run the 1/2 marathon in September. But, that's okay! There will be other races, and I just have to keep persevering and pressing toward the goal!

So, bear with me as I take a step back, reset my goals and look for other races in which I can participate in the future! I'll keep you posted! :-)

3 comments:

  1. You are doing great Beth and have accomplished (and continue to accomplish) great things!! If you find a charity you like that is doing a 5K this fall or next spring, go for it and set new goals~ this is not a step back but merely a swerve in the road!! You can and WILL do it in God's time!
    Blessings & hugs,
    ~m

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of you and all you have accomplished!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perseverance - that is the way to achieve a lasting goal. You are doing so great, keep up the great work and strive for the finish. God is so good

    ReplyDelete